Welcome!

I don't know how most of you feel, but I have decided that my menu needs a little more variety. So, in search of new delightful dishes to try, I thought it would be fun to start a recipe swap. I hope you'll take the time to share some of your favorites, and maybe find a few new ones to add to your own collection!

Search Recipes

Homemade Salsa

12 cups finely chopped tomatoes
1 whole clove garlic
1/2 -1 green pepper
jalapenos to taste (1-2 per batch - remove seeds for less heat)
1 large (or 2 small) onions
3/8 cup sugar
3/8 cup apple cider vinegar
2 Tbsp salt
sprinkle with black pepper

Blanch tomatoes in hot water.  Place in cold water and peel off skin and cut off tops (where stem attaches) as needed.  You can squeeze the tomatoes to get rid of some of the juice so the salsa isn't so watery or runny.  Finely chop tomatoes, garlic, onions and peppers or use food processor. Mix all ingredients together.  Simmer for 1-2 hours.  Put salsa in canning jars and place jars in canner for water bath (water should be 1-2 inches above tops of jars), get the water boiling, then boil for 30 minutes.

(Recipe from Carolyn Jenks)

My Notes: I used Roma tomatoes.  I found that about 42 average-sized tomatoes made 12 cups of processed (very finely chopped/saucy) tomatoes for the recipe.  My 25 pounds of Romas made about 36 (1/2 pint) jars of salsa or 9 quarts using this recipe.

9/5/2013 Notes:
When I made salsa this year, I let it simmer for 2+ hours.  It made it quite a bit less watery - maybe even too thick.  I think I will do it shorter next time. Also, after simmering for so long, I just ladled the hot salsa into my jars and topped with the lids (pulled from simmering water) and rings screwed on tight and turned them upside down and let them sit overnight.  Because the salsa was so hot, they all sealed just fine without having to process them.  

No comments: