Welcome!

I don't know how most of you feel, but I have decided that my menu needs a little more variety. So, in search of new delightful dishes to try, I thought it would be fun to start a recipe swap. I hope you'll take the time to share some of your favorites, and maybe find a few new ones to add to your own collection!

Search Recipes

Whole Wheat Bread



Whole Wheat Bread
I've tried several whole wheat bread recipes over the last few years and this is my favorite bread recipe yet. It's light and moist and is even great after being frozen!

Makes 3 loaves (I typically use one immediately and freeze the other 2 for later in the week)

Oven Temp: 325 - 350 degrees F
Bake time: 25 - 35 minutes

Ingredients:
3 cups warm/hot water
1/3 cup canola oil (or melted butter (unsalted))
1/3 cup honey
1 Tbsp instant yeast
1 Tbsp dough enhancer
2 Tbsp vital wheat gluten
1 Tbsp salt (I use Redmond Real Salt*)
6-9 cup freshly ground whole wheat flour (I use hard white or hard red wheat)
Directions:
In Mixer combine water, oil, honey, and yeast; blend on speed 2 for about 2 minutes. Add dough enhancer, vital wheat gluten, salt, and 1 cup of flour; mix for 4-6 minutes. Slowly add more flour (about 5-8 cups) while mixing until dough begins to pull away from sides of bowl. Continue to knead on speed 1-2 for about 8 minutes.

Spray loaf pans (I use 4x8 size) with non-stick cooking spray. After dough is done kneading, turn it onto oiled surface and give a few good punches and knead a little by hand.

Divide dough into 3 equal parts. Shape each third into loaf, place in bread pan, and let rise until double. Bake at 325 - 350 degrees F (depending on your oven) for 25 - 35 minutes until crust is golden.

No comments: